Saturday, November 26, 2011

Teddy

So I purchased this little car on New years Day 2011. 
It was in really good shape; needed a new drivers side mirror and a good cleaning and that's all
My friend named it Teddy shortly after and it just stuck.
Teddy has been a good little car, especially considering what all I have put the poor guy through the past year...
To start off within about 2 weeks of driving Teddy I was on my way to the University (running late of course) and it was icy out...of course; it was January in Edmonton.... I did not take the road conditions into consideration at all and coming across the high level bridge there is at turn at the end well I failed to make the turn and slid right into the rails.... BIG time denting my rim and destroying my tie-rods and a few other important components in the front end. Luckily no Body damage... although that is usually easier to repair cause I just pay my daddio a visit ;)
So Luckily I was in school with about 6 mechanics at the time, so when I finally made it to the University after being yelled at and flipped off on the high level bridge by all the friendly Edmontonians for about half hour. They all took a look at it and my buddy tracked down some used parts and got me all fixed up the following weekend! yay for mechanically inclined friends! 
So a couple months later I was in my practicum at Jasper Place high school.... we had just had a fresh batch of snow the night before and yet again I was running late, and half asleep on my way to school so I ended up missing my turn and in an attempt to flip a U-turn at the next intersection I slid right into a curb. At first everything seemed O.K. and my car kept working well for a few blocks at least then it shut off and wouldn't move.... Eventually I made it to Jasper place and the mechanics teachers took a look at it and this time I again dented my rim BIG time and needed a new one (same side even) I also managed to crush my A.C. compressor and some other things in the front end yet again. They got it all fixed up for me before the end of the day and I was on my Merry way. 
A few months after that I was at my parents place and turned a corner leaving there house and heard a big clunk.... so my car had to stay in southern Alberta for about a week to get rebuilt.
In my defense these cars are made to be disposable...and can't stand up to ANYTHING!
This next story tops them all though...
In June on my way to my friend Stephanie Bennett's birthday party my buddy Justin came by to go with me and I said I could drive if he moved his car out of the way so he backed into the alley to make room for me to back out of my garage. I ran into the house grabbed my keys~opened the garage door~quickly jumped in my car popped it into reverse and backed out of the garage.
I heard a CRUNCH and my initial thought was OH NO MY NEW MIRROR!!!
However as I turned and looked to my left I realized GOOD GRIEF MY WHOLE DOOR IS GONE!!!
In my attempt to quickly get out of the garage so Justin could park and we could head to the party I neglected to shut my drivers side door before backing out of the garage.... YIKES!
Can't blame the weather for this one.

This is as close as the door would come to shutting


It folded all the way forward and crushed my front fender as well....
 Stretched the hinges wide open

The nicely twisted door

 Managed to force the garbage can through the wall
 more garbage can damage...

This is where the top of the door went through the wall


So I was bicycle bound for a week... My dad showed up on the weekend with a new door and Fender... It helps to have connections :) he called around and found me a silver door and fender off a scrap car... fit perfectly and I was back in business. 
Knock on wood.... but I haven't had any major issues since I figure Good 'ol Teddy needed a break... and I need him to last me till I leave at least.... so this winter I have been driving like a grandma and I have been leaving way earlier for things to kick my speeding habbit..... so far so good. I'm just gonna keep on being as cautious as I can..... This little car has already been through so much.... It deserves some TLC for a while.
Save driving everyone! It's gonna be a safe and joyous winter :)

No comments:

Post a Comment