I feel like it was just yesterday that I blogged about my new years resolution to 'keep up with this darn blog' this year.... and I'm feeling like it was a rather epic fail on my part....
Time just seems to rip by at an ever increasing speed, for pete sakes I'm 23! how the heck did that happen?
I have been saying for the past 3 years that I am having a quarter life crisis which means each year I guess my life span is increasing so that could be a good thing I suppose? that might buy me some more time... haha
I am at a bit of a cross roads right now.... I feel like I have so many options as to what I could do or where I could end up and I'm finding it a little frustrating/ overwhelming cause I would just like someone to decide for me and send me on my merry way. I am very good at having goals and being focused and working my butt off to attain those goals but when a decision comes up..... Man o Man I hate making decisions!!
I am the kind of person who has to weigh out all the pros and cons and think about things for ages and weigh out ALL my opitions and it seems to take me forever. I just want to have a clear head.
Anyways enough on that little tangent here is the update on what I've been up to the past couple months:
Halloween:
So my second home has been across the ravine @ Tyler Bohnet, Jared Nelson, Scott Christie, Brad Hogg, Dalin Duce and Justin Boyd's house. A while back they decided to assign us all a 'justice league' identity. seeing as I was the only girl around at the time who was not someones girlfriend. I was assigned Wonder Woman. So naturally we decided this is what we would be for halloween.....
Boyd who is in the front was super man.... and at the dance he had to do a little challenge thingy and ripped off his suit to reveal his superman costume haha.
I'm not to sure who this guy in the front is.... but we got to the dance and he was dressed as the green arrow? who apparently was the only character that we did not have with us so he joined up with us and we were a complete set.
I met up with everyone at their house before the dance and I brought COOKIES!
I made everyone's symbol in the form of a cookie... and a J.L. for justice league.
lets just say since I dropped out of school in May I have found a bit of spare time :)
it's weird I usually don't know what to do with myself when I have a spare minute so I fill the time with things like this..... haha
I was a little stressed when I was informed I was to be wonder woman for halloween; if you have ever done a google images search of wonder woman she is not the most Modest character....
So I thought and thought and searched and searched and came up with this....
It had all of the 'components' (even red boots) just in a more 'comfortable' form haha
Now I know NOTHING about these characters aka the 'justice league'
Funny thing my dearest Laura and Maren steed dressed up as greek goddesses. We were later informed I think by Scott that wonder woman's mother is the Greek Goddess that Laura was being. haha Funny.
Laura and I go together even when we don't mean to.
There were some REALLY awesome costumes this year... these are some of my fav's
Hope everyone had a GREAT Halloween! cause I sure did. But I'm not gonna lie the Halloween fun started on Friday and by Monday which was actually Halloween I was all Halloweened out.... and didn't even dress up haha.
Pumpkin Party
So Laura's house carved 2 pumpkins this year for Halloween..... Laura is the kind of person who CANNOT let anything go to waste.... (this is a good quality- I LOVE LAURA)
So she cooked up these pumpkins and we started baking:
Laura was on boiling/ cutting/ Blender duty
which was weird cause Laura is a baking champion! commonly referred to as homemaker 5000
At one point she had every burner on the stove boiling pumpkins.
I just started following all the pumpkin recipes we gathered....
These were the "Pumpkin Whoopie cakes"
hahaha thats what they were called! or at least thats what we remembered them being called...
You made these cookies and then stuck 2 together with delicious cream cheese icing.
This is a chunk of what we made....
This was the pumkin raisin cookie dough...they were to die for as well.
Here is the homemaker 5000 herself
~LAURA HILLS~
she is the best
Here we have our pumpkin cupcakes....(Which by the way we got off of pinterest..... all you do is take one box of cake mix add 2 cups of pumkin puree or one 16 oz can of pumpkin and walla cupcakes! thats it thats all don't even add the ingredients on the box. pumpkin only.) They were yummy we used a plain cake mix though I would recomend like a spice cake mix maybe...?
Anyway the whoopie cakes are also in this picture as well as the pumpkin Crumble it was SO GOOD!
We had a BILLION of these pumpkin raisin cookies.
And after all that we still had this bucket full and a mason jar full of pumpkin puree! holy moly Pumpkin goes a LOOOOOOOOONG way!!
Another Fun fact about pumpkin that I learned
(besides the fact that you can actually cook them and use more than just the seeds to bake hahaha)
Is ANYTHING and EVERYTHING you bake with pumkin WILL be RIDICULOUSLY moist and soft. All our cookies were more a cake texture than cookie they were still yummy though.
November 9-13
CFR: Canadian Finals rodeo
My very good friend from high school Levi Simpson competes in it each year, so each year the 'edmonton fan club' gets tickets and heads to rexall place to cheer him on. This year I was not going to go because I was too broke due to my extremely unforgiving get out of debt budget. However the week before the president of the Edmonton fan club called me and presented me with 6-pack tickets (for the whole week) for my combined B-day/ Christmas present. O how I love the president of the fan club : )
Thanks so much Auntie Jen!! I had a great time! here are some shots with our local celebrity;
Levi won the CFR this year.... Congrats Levi!!! your a champ!
November 12
That same weekend was the first snow fall of the season......
Edmonton set a record this year of our latest snowfall ever! it did not happen until November 12.
I thought I was DREADING winter but I was so excited when I woke up to snow that I took pictures and went to store and purchased some celebratory chocolate milk. YUMMY my fav.
Preference:
was on November 25th if I remember correctly...
So this year I had no intention of asking someone to preference.
However Alyssa and Steph came up with a fun idea and convinced me that I should ask someone.
I decided to ask Jeffy (aka Kayla's Jeff Bennett).
Hold that thought....... The story of Laura's Jeff and Kayla's Jeff.
So when Laura and I first moved in together (we are not room mates anymore so sad) anyway when we first moved in together she was attending Grant MacEwan and I was at U of A. We both had a friend named Jeff Bennett, and often found ourselves getting confused about which Jeff we were talking about.
So since Jeff W. Bennett attended Grant MacEwan where Laura was (and she knew him better) he became known as Laura's Jeff Bennett. (he is in the pic beside Laura)
Jeff A. Bennett attended U of A where I was also attending (I knew him better) he became known as Kayla's Jeff Bennett. (he is in the pic beside me)
Don't worry we filled them in on their secret identities....
O.K. back to preference. So I wanted to ask Jeffy aka My Jeff Bennett. I currently live with his sister and we decided to call him up one night and as we were chatting he mentioned how he did not want anyone to ask him to preference. So I said "haha done then I don't have to go cause I was going to ask you" then he and Steph convinced me I should just ask someone else. So I agreed with the conditions that he would have to help me find out whether or not my prospects had been asked yet....
The story of how I ended up going is quite entertaining so I have to share....
Anyway as promised I receive a text from Jeffy the next day with some results... the convo via text goes something like this:
Jeffy-"Hey forget those other guys I met a cool guy who would love to get asked.....(insert phone number here) Just go with it he is excited!"
Me-"Who is it?"
Jeffy-"You'll have to text him and find out. he'll think it's funny"
(After looking up the number) Me-" You bonehead! thats your number!!"
Jeffy- "Hahaha I told you he would think it's funny. But that isn't a very creative way of asking...."
Me-"I didn't ask you anything"
Long story short he challenged my creativity.....
So Yes I did end up asking Jeffy, in the most obnoxious way I could think of.
I made him a scavenger hunt. All over Edmonton a total of 8 clues. each clue was embedded in a different color of JELL-O. The Final clue was embedded in a Giant container filled with 3 boxes of JELL-O. the last clue said "I met a cool girl who would LOVE to take you to preference.... call this number for more information (insert number here)"
The best part is the number was not mine it was his mothers..... hahaha Steph helped out with that part. So he got asked to preference by his mom.
Also the night I planted all the clues happened to also be on one of our coldest days so far this year so it was also Frozen JELL-O
Here are the 8 JELL-O clues
all the clues including the Final one
Left this on porch with first clue haha
Total JELL-O used: 8 boxes
TAKE THAT JEFFY! challenge my creativity again some time.... I dare ya. lol.
Anywho I got a response it was very clever as well.... and we went to preference together. We had a grand ol' time.
Laura, Alyssa, Steph and I had so much fun asking everyone it almost trumped the date all together haha.
Anyways so for our date:
We picked up our dates (it's preference it's weird why not make it as weird as humanly possible?) So Steph and I picked up our dates and bought flowers for them on the way there haha flippin weird but funny.
Then we all met up @ our house and made Pizza's
There were 4 but I only have pictures of 2 for some reason.
Then we played household Sports.
We set up mini-golf all over the house, then id curling on the kitchen floor with blocks of frozen butter (we even drew a target on the floor with dry-erase marker) then we were bowling water bottles with grapefruit.
It might sound lame but it was SUPER fun! and I LOVED every minute of it. We did end up going to the dance for the last 10 minutes (which was the plan all along haha)
It was a super fun night. I LOVE my FRIENDS!! you guys are the best!!
and I think this was 2 weeks ago allready..... so I still have some catch up to do..... but that will have to wait until I get access to some more pictures!!
ta-ta for now!








I know how you feel just wanting someone to make the big decisions for you! I definitely have felt that many many times. but on a different note- I love hearing about all of your adventures! It looks like you are having so much fun! i love your halloween costume- you are so cute!! And I am so impressed with your super hero cookies and pumpkin recipes- yum!
ReplyDeleteKayla....I LOVE your blog!! Fills my Kayla void in life since you live so stinkin far away! Love all the pictures too!!! And wowzers with the pumpkin stuff haha you went all out. Miss you always!!
ReplyDeleteFirst: let's talk about how much I love you. Your blog is hilarious and I love reading about your creative adventures. I loved you Halloween costume. I have to be Wonder woman for birthday parties sometimes. Totally not "g" friendly.
ReplyDeleteSecond your hair is getting SUPER LONG!! I love it!!
Third: I am jealous of your 5000 friend! She looks like such a homemaker, I will never be that amazing! What a champ!
Fourth: What a fun way to ask someone to a dance! So creative I may just have to do something obnoxious like this for Jakob, once you get married... life gets lame... not actually but you don't tend to do fun things like this anymore :)
Fifth: I'm almost done I swear :)
Sixth: I love you dearly and can't wait to see you in 12ish days!!!!!!