So the last time I went to Thunder in the Valley was summer.... just after high school.
here is a trip down memory lane:
Thunder in the Valley 2006...
Vanessa & I took our friend Hailey from Airdrie. Vanessa drove out with Brody Cisar and Hailey came with me in my Dad's truck pulling my parents trailer. As we were driving we had gone over the "hump" just past honey coulee I got an idea I could put the truck in neutral and coast down that way I could save gas....
K-yes I know IDIOT!!!!!
So as we were coming around a sharp curve in the road the weight from the trailer was too much and not having trailer brakes and having the truck in neutral- I lost control and the truck and trailer shot off the edge of the road down the side of the mountain.... Yes with Hailey and I inside. I remember yelling "I'M SORRY I'M SORRY I'M SO SORRY!!!!" all the way down until we were lucky enough to stop when we hit a tree.
These were our tracks as we skid off the edge of the road
right where we launched off it doesn't look too bad in the picture but their is a 2 foot drop off straight down before the slope of the hill starts
This is the Lovely little tree that stopped us from going all the way to the bottom of the mountain
This is Hailey and I hiking back to the road to try to get reception to call someone for help
(we were the back of the convoy)
This is the sign we found at the opposite end of the road from where we started.... maybe they should put one @ both ends?
Good thing my dad's truck is a tank and there was ABSOLUTELY no damage to the truck the tree the trailer or us! we were VERY lucky. if we would have hit the drop off @ any other angle then what we did we would have rolled for sure....
So our friends eventually came looking for us and we went on our merry way camping for the night....the next day we met the tow-truck driver who winched us back up onto the road we were quite a ways down... and we hopped in the truck and continued to our camp site...as for the rest of the trip...well that was then lets not live in the past.....
So onto Thunder in the Valley 2011!!!
I went with Ashley & Caleb this year! so it was WAY fun!!! We also met up with Leah & Travis later in the day and camped with them as well.
I met Ashley & Caleb @ 7:30am in fort macleod... then followed them to the pass where we met up with Caleb's sister Cherum and his Mom & Dad. once we were all set up we decided to go on a hike.
Did I mention I LOVE hiking!!!
The infamous pop-up tent from B-K-Country adventures
Brett willed this to me when he left on his mission....
Caleb's parents took the road all the way up...
The rest of us decided to take a short cut part way up...
Pretty mountain view on the way up
The Nike rock.... This rock had paint splatter on it and it was a PERFECT Nike check mark.
Final Destination
The Glorious Meadow on the way down... If I knew how to post a video I have one of Caleb frolicking
On the way down....
A Little hidden waterfall on the way down
Super Cool Flower that apparently only exists in the upper Rocky mountains but I can't remember what it was called...... Help --> Ashley??
The view from the tower
Me and the Cuties :)
The second peak!
Awe Aren't they Cute?? They are my Favorite :)
We hiked straight down the face on the way back and followed the train tracks back to our vehicle.
This is our hike beginning to end we started @ the truck there in the left corner and ended @ the tiny little tower on the lower part of the mountain on the right side of the picture...look closely you can see it
After our hike we met up with the Bevans...made some food and headed to the fire works
there was a FREAK rain storm and we got SOAKED!!! this pic is me and Ashley in our make-shift shelter but once it started to DOWN-POOR (harder than I have ever seen before) we headed for the car and didn't stand a chance we were DRENCHED!!!
This is Caleb's Mom & Dad Hiding from the rain hahaha I LOVE it!
Thanks for the Fun Guys! I had a great weekend!
Thanks for changing my opinion of Thunder in the Valley!

I'm so jealous of you and your adventures!
ReplyDeleteBest weekend ever!!! Our ALL day hike, your wicked tent that really didn't get wet (amazing) and a very WET fireworks show hehe And the result and sicky Kayla! It was SO fun though!!! Come with us anywhere anytime :)
ReplyDeleteDear Ashley how about EVERYWHERE & ALL the TIME?? :)
ReplyDeleteand as for you Steph!! You go hiking EVERY Thursday I am WAY jealous!!!