Sunday, December 18, 2011

Company Christmas Party

Well on December 3rd, I had my company Christmas Party.... Which I was kind of not looking forward to...
A-Everyone would be drunk
B-I had 2 tickets and no one to take with me... I still get bugged for the last person I took to one of these things, You'd be surprised how close these old guys I work with pay attention to things like this... That was 2 years ago for pete sakes!

Anyways at the last minute I invited my friend Robin Lybbert and it actually ended up being A LOT of fun. I thought we would eat & run, but we stayed until after 11. I work with some pretty FUN people! We had fun talking to all the Germans I work with.... well Robin did I am still learning so I didn't really know what was going on haha but I am getting better! I had a few conversations with Jakob this week at work... 

O by the way I am learning German haha random I know-- but I work with a ton of Germans and my room mate Stephanie is taking her minor in German so I figured I might as well take advantage of the opportunity while I have a ton of people who can help me! I NEVER thought I would EVER be interested in learning a new language but I am addicted! it all started one day @ work there was no Welding to be done so Darin (my boss) sent me to work with Jakob in the machining area for a couple days. It was SUPER fun he asked me a MILLION questions about church over the course of the 2 days and I learned A LOT about Germany and Russia. Jakob was born in Russia and moved to Germany when he was about 7. His older brother Edward was 17 at the time... I work with Edward also. Anyways near the end of the 2 days I worked with Jakob I asked him to teach me something in German so he did "Was ist hier los" was the first phrase I learned... It means "What's goin on here?" kinda slang similar to "what's up?" and after that I was HOOKED!!! within the next week I learned "Guten morgen, vie gehts" Which is "good morning, how are you?" the Alphabet, numbers, how to say goodbye, and a bunch of other coin Phrases I have a little note book that I write things in and then I set it by me while I work and between welds I read them and then while I'm welding I repeat them over and over till I can remember them. So I have a huge list of words & phrases I can say, I have an English copy so I look at it in English and then remember how to say it in German, and I have a German copy that I look at and say and remember what it means in English. The thing I struggle with is understanding when other people say things to me in German it takes me a while to process what they are saying.... I really have to think about it. But everyone at work is really good and patient with me as I think things over and figure out what they are saying. 2 of my most common phrases are 
"Ich verstehe das nicht" (I dont understand) & "Bitte Sprechen sie Langsamer" (Please speak more slowly) haha

Anyways back to the Christmas party....here are some pictures of the night.....
This is Jakob and Meagan she is our company H.R. rep.

This is Brad in the center.... Brad, Max & I were the only Welders that showed up and Max left right after din din.
Larry is in the far left corner... He is hilarious and he made me dance.... then I refused to dance the rest of the night without him haha

This is my Friend Robin Lybbert who I conned into coming with me

Edward-Kayla-Jakob
These are my German speaking Russians

Right after we took the group photo above Edward said lets take a funny pic. before I could even think he scooped me up and my dress was wide open @ the bottom hence the screaming face!
 good thing I was wearing spanky shorts!! haha

Aufwiedersehn!!

No comments:

Post a Comment