Thursday, September 16, 2010

Montana Road Trip part 3

The adventure continues..... But before I do that I need to insert: Today @ school in my CTS class aka: Career and Technology Studies class. My instructor asked how many of us knew what a BLOG was.... and thanks to Mrs. Stephanie Tobler... I was able to say I knew what it was hahaha not that I knew how to use it or what its intended purpose or audience was but I had a general idea of what they were! haha yay for me!!

Anyways back to my Road trip, I gotta get this finished up before I forget all the critical details:
So where were we? ah Yes we spent a lovely night at the Blue and white Motel.... Woke up in the morning had the most AMAZING pancakes ever....for those of you who are in close proximity to an IHOP get the new york cheesecake pancakes...SO DELICIOUS!! I'M IN LOVE. and I was a little bitter when I didnt get to have them before I left Idaho the following week but thats a whole nother story.So now we have ate and are ready to head to Logans pass for our hike... When ALAS adventure calls our name once more!!
Who could pass up an opportunity like this???? It screams EXCITEMENT!!
haha so A.D.D. took over our vacation once again and we had to check this out....
This "little" guy walked right in front of the car! COOL


This guy started to follow us for a while and I attempted to make a video so that it would appear that this bear was trecking through our campsite....however you will notice the lovely Bear whisperer ruins my attempt right at the end of the video by walking right up beside the bear. haha

So this was super fascinating for about the first 5-10 minutes then once you really start to think about it you realize that this little habbituary is pretty much the most depressing thing of all time....and your inner naturalist/ treehugger senses are triggered and you must leave... or else you are overwhelmed with a need to FREE THE BEARS!!
So Pressing onward it is time to head to Logans Pass where the real fun began!! "theLoop" hike which runs along the "looking to the sun" road is freaking AMAZING!! most beautiful view EVER!! it was fabulous the wild life was incredible!!!


HAHAHA K the gopher video was a joke...Brett gave me a pretty hard time for making that one. But up close it looked really cool cause the stupid little guy wasnt scared of us at all I was throwing stuff at him the whole time trying to get him to run but he wouldnt and up close you could see his little Jaw moving I thought it was cute. WHAT EVER BRETT!!!!
Anyway on a real note this hike was actually SSOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!
see what I mean.....this is the view for practically the whole hike! GORGEOUS!!

My efforta at the beggining of the hike to keep the pants clean and Dry....you will understand the significance of this statement later on...


 
Some actually cool wild life right above us on the trail...Brett wouldnt let me try to pet this one.




We saw tonnes of Big horn sheep on this hike and had a fairly close encounter with a couple....but thatll come later on... :)
So this Hike is started at the Logans pass visitors center, and you have the option to walk all the way along the trail which eventually brings you out further down the mountian on the looking to the sun road. or you can turn off the path about half way and hike up to the glacier over look. which is about a 45 minute Hike straight up, to get back down you hike back down to the main trail and either continue to the lower part of the road and get picked up by a shuttle which takes you back to the visitirs center....or you can just reverse your hike and walk back the way you came so you end up at your car.

This is roughly the beginning of where the trail turns off and heads up to the glacier overlook and it just gets steeper and steeper the further up you go.

This is my SAD attempt at being creative on the way up to the glacier overlook. O and did I mention that about half way to the turning point for the glacier overlook it started to rain...??? so at this point were soaking wet but "we came this far we have to make it to the top" So Brett being the gentleman he is made me where his jacket on top of my hoody and sweatpants....and he went in his Tee shirt and shorts.
I am not going to show many pictures of the top because the pictures dont do the AMAZING view any justice what-so-ever.
I LOVE this pic. anyway the View was incredible!! but I couldnt stop there so we hiked up even further to eat our lunch
Bretts Sandwiches got mangled everyday!! and who doesnt eat subway on the top of a mountain??
I took this picture pointing straight down from where we ate our lunch... it was a little steep! haha
Time to head back down....... Heres where it gets really interesting!!

So we get back down to the "overlook" from our little extra hike to our lunch spot and these 2 guys are there from Arizona. Were on top of a Glacier overlook=it is snowing. Brett is wearing T-shirt and shorts. So Arizona guy starts giving him trouble saying "Boy you better get down off of here before hypothermia sets in... I have an extra jacket I'll give it to you." Brett being stubborn as he is resists the offer. (Yes it was snowing.....however it was still only like 5'C out so not too overly cold) So home boy #1 says we need to get off the mountain while we still can!! "take the short way down to where the shuttle picks people up its only 2.5 miles down from the main trail." We say no thats O.K. well miss the shuttle. (the last shuttle heads up @ 7:00and our little stint with the Berenstein Bears set us back and we didnt start our hike until about 2. So at this point were barely even half way and its like 6 o'clock. Home boy #1 insists we take the "short way" down and try to catch the shuttle. then Arizona boy #2 comes along all decked out in his snow gear right from head to tow. And he sees Brett and says "Boy- you a fool, ain't no room for fools on these trails boy. You know how many people Die in Arizona every year because they dont prepare for the elements??. Boy you a fool. You need to get off this mountain Boy. and quick." babahahahahaa So they wouldnt leave Brett alone untill he agreed to atleast wear a rain poncho. so he did. Anyways so we say K thanks guys but were just gonna head back to the car cause we wont make it down to the shuttle. so we take off down the trail and run into a slight problem


But after we defeated the Big horn sheep... home boy #1 caught up to us and insists we go down to the lower level and he follows us off the Glacier overlook down to the main trail to ensure we take the "short 2.5 mile" trail down the mountain. So hes not giving up so we give in and go on our merry way don to the lower part. We walk and walk and walk and walk and finally we see a sign. It says not that were getting close but that were actually still 5 miles from the road!!!! So homeboy was WRONG!! and it would have been just as fast for us to walk back to our car....where we would be guaranteed to be able to get home. However were on our way down to the shuttle which we have allready missed. So we keep walking it keeps raining and snowing we are Soaked exhausted its getting Dark and we have no idea how we are going to get back to the car which is probably about 20 miles up the road on the Windy mountain roads. Finally @ about 9:00 we get to the road and have now missed the shuttle bus by about 2 hours, and we look Homeless:
So we do what any desperate stranded person would do... We hitch hike!! haha so CRAZY I know! But desperate times call for desperate measures!! So the most stereotypical montana hillbilly picks us up... and for the 20 minute  drive up th windy road we heard all about the lift and 35" rims that hes got on his vehicle and blah blah blah. So we finally make it bakc to the car...YAY!! homeward bound! Right?...
WRONG!
O crap were on empty, we dont have enough gas to get back to west glacier tonight guess were stayin in east glacier. So we start driving to east glacier. They are doing construction on the windy mountain roadsso there are parts where only one car can go at a time and there are solar powered traffic lights directing the traffic so each light is about 10 minutes long. Its dark there is no one on the road. we get to the light realize we have a wait so Brett puts the car in Park. We get talking soon enough the light turns green and Brett goes to put the car in drive and The shifter is STUCK!! So I burst out laughing! as Brett trys to fix the problem. So at this point we are both soaking wet, Freezing cold, Its pitch Black, There is no one around for miles, Neither of us have cell phone service, car is on empty, and now the car is STUCK in park. on the side of the flippin mountian!! hahahahahaha. So we try to mess with it for a bit. Finally someone comes along, Brett waves him down to ask for some tools... hes got nothing says sorry I gotta go...and drives away. A few minutes later another guy pulls up... we ask him for tools. Hes a bike repair guy so he hooks us up with some tools, we take the shifter apart to see what the heck is going on. Bike Man asks to see the shifter once its off and he drops it on the highway and all the little springs and metal shims go all over the road! so we find all the pieces and buddy figures there is not much else we can do so he sayd sorry guys i gotta go. we give him his tools and he's on his way. So now to recap:we are both soaking wet, Freezing cold, Its pitch Black, There is no one around for miles, Neither of us have cell phone service, car is on empty, and now the car is STUCK in park. on the side of the flippin mountian!! and the shifter is completely dismantled and we have no tools to put it back together!. At this point we have no more ideas....were stuck here till morning. Then Brett says "Kayla I'm droppin a prayer" haha so we did and cool thing happened not even like 10 seconds later Brett is like "hand me the owners manual" opens it up to a freakin picture of the shifter that says "if shifter is jammed turn to page whatever" so he does and it showed us the little emergency release slot that you shove a key into and then the car with shift into gear. SSOOOO FLIPPIN COOL!!!!!

BEFORE

AFTER

Anyway so were driving away and brett says " we are not telling anyone what just happened" I say O.K. crazy and thus I am blogging about it hahaha. Dont kill me Brett. Stephanie is the only one who ever looks at this thing. So its like 11:30 now and we make it to east glacier. A.D.D. gets us again and we spend like an hour looking at our pictures then figure hhmmm we better find somewhere to sleep tonight. So we get to St. Marys camp ground. Set up the tent and go to sleep (after over paying, guessing on our camp site #,playing with a stray possesed cat and unsuccessfully searching for shower tokens that is).
So its morning And were SOAKED!! turns out the little pop-up tent wasnt water proof! there was water everywhere!! apparently Brett was up all night Frezzing to death. but my super sleeping bag 5000 from the G-parents kept me nice and warm. anyway I'm getting flipping tired majority of the excitement has now been shared however I will probably be able to sum up the rest quickly in the morning. But I am Sick and I need to catch some zzzzzz's 
To be continued for a very short period of time cause this BLOG is ridiculously LONG!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment